And still the South African government has no comment on more than 180 bans, restrictions and moratoria on fracking …
Time: 8:00 am – 3:00 pm
Place: David L. Lawrence Convention Center
- Malia Spencer
- Reporter- Pittsburgh Business Times
State Sen. Jim Ferlo, whose 38th district includes Pittsburgh, is signaling he intends to formally introduce legislation for a moratorium on new hydraulic fracturing.
In an email sent this week to constituents, Ferlo said “in a matter of days, I plan to introduce legislation which would impose a temporary moratorium on hydraulic fracturing (fracking).” Ferlo is planning a statewide conference call next week regarding the proposal and expects to introduce formal legislation the following week, he said.
Ferlo noted his proposal would call for a moratorium on fracking new wells and would not affect the thousands of already permitted wells, or the 7,000 drilled and operating wells.
“This year there were 366 violations by a weak-kneed (Department of Environmental Protection) in the state and 6,000 violations since 2000,” Ferlo said. “I would not stop those permits already out there pumping. It would not affect the activity already in place. But it’s important to take a step back and look at the infractions and get an independent commission to create and take at least two to three years to look closely at how we can best provide appropriate protection.”
Ferlo said his proposal will include creating a commission appointed by the governor with Senate approval to hold hearings and submit a report no later than January 2018. He added this commission must be made up of industry, environmental and consumer groups.
So far there are eight co-sponsors on the proposal but Ferlo acknowledged this will be “an uphill battle.” However, he said it’s an issue that should be debated particularly by the candidates running for governor.
- The more you learn about fracking, the more you’ll oppose it: Commentary (syracuse.com)
- Ministers Push for Fracking in the Karoo (jonathandealblog.com)
- Santa Cruz County Adopts Temporary Moratorium on Fracking (indybay.org)
- City Council To Vote On Fracking Moratorium (losangeles.cbslocal.com)
- US scientists rubbish SA claim of ‘safe fracking’ (jonathandealblog.com)
- Eastern Province Herald on Fracking (jonathandealblog.com)